Apparently, roaches can live for short periods of time underwater and remain steadfastly in one spot despite rushing water. How do I know this? If you guessed "toilet roach," you'd be right.
There was a roach walking along the bowl UNDER the water. I flushed; it hunkered down and remained in one spot. It walked around some more. I flushed again, and again the sucker didn't move. Finally I knocked it off the bowl with a plunger and flushed it away, but damn.
Once (10 years ago?) I trapped a roach in a mason jar (heavy glass you put jam in, pint size) to go toss it in the dumpster (this was when my good will prevented me from killing anything. I now kill roaches, ticks and mosquitoes--that's it though). I went to find paper to slide under the jar to pick it up. I came back to watch the roach (about 2 inches long) PUSH THE JAR ACROSS THE FLOOR. I stopped it after watching it move about 3 feet and took it to the dumpster.
I feel so insignificant. A roach's will to live is great. They will outlast us all. Perhaps it is time to surrender our title and crown the roaches as the dominant life form on the planet?
(Not my first critter in the toilet incident by the way)
And don't go looking for pictures. I did. I know roaches aren't "gross"--they are constructed as such, but I am conditioned enough to get the willies. And the roach execution art? Unsettling.
1 comment:
*shudder* Whenever I flush something like that down the toilet, I'm terrified that it won't completely flush and then it will come back out to literally bite me in the ass when I'm using the bathroom.
Post a Comment