Sometimes books are free because they are horrible. Don't believe the Amazon reviews! (I should have learned my amazon review lesson from the baby registry list--no diaper changing pad is that dangerous.) Sometimes they are free for other reasons and are perfectly good books. But sometimes they are horrible--plot, dialogue, characterization, cliche, and grammar horrible.
(I'm not referring to any of the books nicoleandmaggie recommended, but I am finding Cobweb Bride boring and set it aside for the moment to read Jim C. Hines' The Snow Queen's Shadow, which I can pretend I'm reading for work. I imagine CB will pick up when the girls make it to the Northern Forest.)
1 comment:
Yeah, there are some real duds. There was one I got that was full of racist sexist homo-something (the author obviously loved the idea of homosexuals but had only encountered them in flamboyant gay best friend stereotype land, not reality land) stereotypes. At least the guy who was sexually harassing her at work (though she didn't consider getting sexually propositioned by her boss to be harassment at all! Because he was hawt, so that made it ok.) turned out to be the mass murderer everyone was looking for.
Most of the free PG Wodehouse (except the single Jeeves book) is full of racist stuff. And one realizes why those particular titles went quietly out of print.
But everything free by Lauren Royal is awesome, just as a heads up. :)
Post a Comment