I'm finding the self-published books I downloaded for free difficult to read. They are all parts of series, so they're part of those give-away-book-1-in-hopes-that-you'll-buy-the-rest set ups. I'm only sticking them on the list over there if I finish them, so not all of the ones I've tried have made it. The one I just finished has a protagonist too stupid to live. It is really bad when your reader hopes the main character dies because that would be more interesting (some of the secondary characters were more interesting, flat types but with potential whereas the main character was just ridiculously stupid). It wasn't particularly interesting or well-written in other ways either--continuity errors, typos, weak plotting, and plotting that appeared to ripped straight out of Harry Potter (one scene in particular, I was like, come on!? Not tropes or standard fantasy or school plots--that's just to be expected and not a problem--the choreography of the scene was too close.) I'm not sure why I finished it to be honest.
Bah, my experience with self-published books so far has not been positive. I know good ones exist. Catherynne Valente's first Fairyland book was self-published, and I loved it. Cobweb Bride was well-written though could have maybe used an editor. (The pacing is a problem. It feels stretched out with filler, as if there wasn't enough material for a trilogy, but that's how it was written anyway. I haven't read the other two to see if what read as filler in 1 is important later. But since I am a firm believer that every book in a series has to stand on its own, I would still argue that 1 is boring and needed an editor). And some terribly terrible books have been published with publishing houses, so I don't expect the method of publishing to mean much, especially now that not every book gets a good editor (let alone copy editor). I'm just disappointed that I'm not having any luck yet (perhaps because I'm cheap?). Any recommendations of good self-published ebooks? I have a list of ones recommend on reddit's fantasy sub. But since it's reddit...
ETA: At least I'm assuming that these are self-published books as the publisher listed is Amazon.
1 comment:
Create a divine atmosphere with Apna Showroom brass diyas for puja, timeless Diyas for Puja that make every ritual sacred. Perfect for Ganpati diyas puja or festive worship, these blend tradition with durability. Keep holy water in a gangajal lota container or brass kalash Haridwar. Complete devotion with Rudraksha mala panchmukhi. Apna Showroom Shree Sampurna Vyapar Vridhi Yantra Lakshmi Yantra Vashikaran Yantra Kuber Yantra 24k Gold Plated Yantra for Home, Office, Business, and Puja Ghar - Spiritual Energy and Prosperity Enhancement
Apna Showroom Tic Tac Hair Clips for women tik tak tic tak tic hair pin saree pin women's pin hairpin multicolor hair pin Girls Snap Hair Clips, Girls Daily Use Clips Multi Print Design Stylish clips Multicolour (100 Piece
Apna Showroom Ganga Jal - Holy pure Ganga Jal Har ki pauri Brahmakund Prasad Tasveer Chunni Haridwar Ganga Jal Natural Ganga jal
Our diverse catalog also includes pantyhose stockings for women, fishnet stockings, black net socks, clutcher for women, and lice comb for kids, ensuring spiritual and lifestyle essentials in one.
Post a Comment