I turned in my application for promotion to Assistant Professor today, and I'm so glad that's over. This is an easy decision: clearly meeting the requirements for the rank, has degree in hand. All I need is the PhD to be promoted, but I still have to go through the regular promotion process. So while this is not stressful at all in those terms, scanning all of the crap for documentation has frazzled my brain and been crazy stressful. I have had scanning woes, my friends, WOES. Compiling all of the stuff and writing it up should be less time-consuming and painful.
While I’m complaining, stupid Blogger does weird stuff with the html code when using spell check. If you misspell a word and get the red squiggly line in the compose pane and then correct the word, & n b s p ; shows up on either side of the word (only it's all squished together; I've spaced it out here so you don't just see two spaces). That is the code for a no-break space. Why it shows up I don’t know, but the result is that the line won’t break in the space & n b s p ; represents. It makes for weird spacing when I publish a post, so I have started typing stuff up in Word first and then formatting in Blogger. I misspell a lot apparently. Or I am a sloppy typer when blogging. Or maybe just too fast.
Living in the future has its irritations.
2 comments:
I can't spell either. I do a volunteer job that requires submitting reports in Excel. I didn't realize Excel wasn't spell checking as I went along since it is so automatic in everything these days. I got my report back and went over it. . . it was such a shock to see. I couldn't figure out why I had lost all capabilities of spelling!
Good luck with your application!!
Ahh..yes, I know about technology taking over your life. I'm having to learn Windows 8 which I loathe since the software gives one the impression that it knows what you want..so screens change without you wanting the change. Ahhh..
Post a Comment