Tuesday, January 29, 2013

But when is the next new episode?

I would like there to be some sort of consistency in the home pages for television shows currently on air so that when you go to the home page, the air date for the next new episode is in a prominent, logical place. My eye typically goes to the top left-hand corner first (perhaps from all of the student essays), then the right. So I'm thinking top of the home page.

Next New Episode: Friday March 1 at 9pm EST

or even

Next New Episode: “Snazzy Episode Title,” Friday March 1 at 9pm EST

or

Next Episode: “Snazzy Episode Title,” Friday March 1 at 9pm EST (all new!)

or

New Episode: “Snazzy Episode Title,” Friday March 1 at 9pm EST (original air date: 2/01/13)

There, I gave you options. Pick one. Format it to your heart’s content. Stick in a box and make it sparkle if you want. But hop to it, networks. Doesn’t someone get paid to do weekly updates anyway? While they’re adding all of the other crap that’s flashing at me, couldn’t they add this? Please? Pretty please?

A brief survey of home pages for current shows I watch using Hulu because I no longer have a TV (I watch others shows on and off, but these are the only ones I'm keeping up with weekly right now):
  • Once Upon a Time: I see ABC Sundays at 8/7c on the top left. I see “Watch the latest episode streaming now” with a link. No “next episode” info.
  • Castle: Also ABC, but a much better designed site. Right at the top center—“watch this episode” with a link to the last aired episode and “next episode” with a title, summary, and “Monday at 10/9c.” An actual date would be nice, but I have my information, so I’m happy.
  • Psych: USA. “ALL NEW EPISODES FEBRUARY 27, 2013” right at the top left. Very nice. Mid-page, left column is a running list of upcoming episodes. There seems to be a template design at play here; I approve.
  • The Big Bang Theory: I see CBS Thursdays 8/7c in the top left. I see “Full episodes” with links to view them mid-page. Below that is “First-look photos” about the next episode with an air date, though it appears that this feature rotates and won’t always be at the top.
What have we learned? Once Upon a Time has the least clear website. USA’s templates are good because they make everything easy to find. I spent too much time being frustrated on Once’s website.

I also may have ranted about wanting information to be easily accessible on authors' websites once before.

2 comments:

kel said...

I may or may not subscribe to these blogs: http://castle-fans.org/, http://www.wetpaint.com/castle because 1) spoilers; 2) Sneak peeks; 3) they say every Monday whether or not Castle will be new.

I'm not as adamant about other shows as I am Castle but I will say that I think the CBS show website blows. That station pisses me off.

Tree of Knowledge said...

I hate watching videos from the CBS website. It's my only legal way to watch TBBT, so I do it, but it screws up at least once per episode and sometimes can't be fixed.

And the embedded commercials! CBS is really bad, because the commercials are usually what trigger the streaming problems (way to make me hate your product). I hate this about Hulu too. Netflix has spoiled me, but I have learned that I will pay a subscription fee to get commercial-free viewing. If Hulu plus actually meant no commercials, I'd subscribe without hesitation.