9 days in Paris, days 8 & 9. . .
 |
| below the Eiffel tower |
On day 8, we went to the Eiffel Tower in the morning. The line was HUGE because some of the elevators were not working. So we took the stairs to the second level--669 stairs. I took breaks. Lots of people were giving each other encouragement in a variety of languages on the way up. The view is pretty amazing, as you can see below. We have lots of pictures from the top. It was so crowded. I was surprised by the lack of graffiti though. I like to think that is because people are all "this is so cool" when they're up there, but Husband says it probably just gets painted over on a very regular basis. This means there's an Eiffel tower anti-graffiti squad.
 |
| atop the Eiffel tower |
We did not purchase champagne at the top as it was before lunch. Oh--we went to one of the cafes near the Eiffel tower for brunch, and I had the best cheese omelette I have ever had. If everyone cooked eggs like this I would not need to give precise instructions when I eat breakfast out. It was sooooooo good. I didn't realize I'd be impressed by cheese omelettes (at a place that caters to tourists no less), or I would have been ordering them from day one. I'm glad we ate before we walked up the 669 steps, because I would have not have made it without eating something first. Once we got back down (which is way easier, but I found it scarier), it was time for ice cream. Ice cream is better in Paris too.
 |
| Sight--one of The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries |
 |
This is actually tiny.
A small jeweled box from the jewelry room at the Musee du Moyan-Age. |
We spent the afternoon wandering for a bit, and then we went to the
Musee du Moyan-Age. I was very excited about this because
The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries are there. All six, in the same room! It was dim to protect the tapestries form the light, so the pictures are dark, but it was so very cool. This place was awesome. I love old stuff, and this stuff was old. The books. The books! Everything was cool. Husband took pictures of all of the pagan artifacts, and anything with birds on it. There is so much to see, and much of it is so delicately made. It is amazing what people can accomplish without tv.
Also, lots of the-head-of-John-the-Baptist art. Apparently the John the Baptist story was the go-to approved sensational and gruesome story for illustrating. Okay, there is only one image in the
Wikipedia article that depicts the head of John the Baptist on a platter, but I'm telling you, this is the go-to image of this collection of art.
 |
| from the stained glass room at the Mussee du Moyan-Age |
I am now distracted by the incongruity of the tiny jeweled box next to my observation about beheaded biblical art from the middle ages. The jewelry was also amazing. Much of what is in the collection is Christian art, but there are also Roman pieces in the early Middle Ages section. The Frigidarium had the oldest pieces, from 14-37 AD.
 |
| goddess of cocoa at le musee gourmand du Chocolat |
On our last morning, we went to the
musee gourmond du Chocolat because why would you skip this? We learned all about early chocolate drinking practices and how the Spanish changed them. There was a lot about the production of chocolate, which I thought was really interesting. I also did not realize that there was a goddess of chocolate. I don't know why it didn't occur to me, as I'm sure there are others. But now I know. There was also a room of European chocolate pots and cups for drinking chocolate. The history was very cool--4000 years. I was excited about the bit of history that said that the first makers of chocolates--as a candy--were Portuguese because we were going to Portugal next.
 |
| proof that white chocolate is not chocolate |
The French didn't allow them to make chocolates legally at first. However apparently chocolate is no longer a thing in Portugal as it was very difficult to find chocolate in Lisbon. Before they let us loose in the gift shop to try our sample chocolate drink and buy bags of chocolate, we were given a lesson on making chocolates.
And that was Paris. Parts
1,
2,
3, &
4.
No comments:
Post a Comment