Thursday, September 06, 2012

I Went to Europe, part 4

After defending I've been wrapped up in reading, and preparing for the new semester (started this week), and Skyrim. But I still have vacation photos!

9 days in Paris, days 5, 6, & 7 . . .

We then spent all of day 5 at the Centre Pompidou, which was high on Husband's list of things to do. It's an understatement to say that it was very cool, but it was. So much art; it's kind of hard to describe looking at art all day. We regrouped at the cafe before heading back to the apartment and dinner.

Victor Hugo by Rodin
Day 6 had a mission. I was determined to find a postcard of Rodin's sculpture of Victor Hugo to send to my grandfather (who looks just like it). We went to the Musee Rodin, which was fabulous. By the time we were in Lisbon, I could pick out a Rodin sculpture from a mixed collection from across the room.

Rodin's rose garden
His are the one of people in impossible poses. They really are beautiful though.We were surprised by the amazing garden. I have never seen so many roses together that were so different. The roses above are from Rodin's garden. They didn't really have what we wanted postcard-wise. The Hugo museum did, but we didn't stay.

I wanted to be sure to tour the Musee des Egouts de Paris--the sewers. It wasn't as exciting as some of the other places we went, but I enjoyed the story of the sewer expansion as a story of Paris. The museums that have historical information on the city compliment each other well, and they all quote from Hugo.

the chatelet at the Chateau de Vincennes
Day 7 we took the metro out to the Chateau de Vincennes, a 14th century castle. Castles are so cool. There was a moat! filled with grass! The exhibits were focused on the time of Charles V, though the broader history was covered too. The use of the chatelet as a prison was the focus of the bottom floor, which maintains some of the prisoners' graffiti and art. The Marquis de Sade was held here. Have I said "cool" too much already?
the Holy Chapel as seen from the chatelet
The chapel was fantastic (have I used that adjective yet? I'm a little worn out from teaching, and it's been over a month since we went). The acoustics were perfect, and the stain glass was awe inspiring. The whole place was really. It's amazing to think of the construction process and how perfect everything has to be. There was a dragon behind the alter, which makes the whole castle thing even more awesome. A dragon! in a castle! I was so psyched about the fact that this was a CASTLE! that Husband had to talk me down from buying Nephew and Niece all of the knight and princess toys.

Vincennes didn't take us as long as we thought, so we spent the afternoon at the Pantheon. Some of the area was blocked off for restoration, but there was still lots to see. Husband was much better at remembering the details of the overnight drama in Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, which takes place, in part, here. We went down into the crypt (more Hugo); it's quite solemn.

And there's still more!

Parts 1, 2, & 3.

No comments: