Sunday, July 22, 2012

I went to Europe, part I

9 Days in Paris, days 1 & 2 . . .

The view from our apartment in Paris.
Paradise City to Paris is a long, long, long flight. We flew half-way around the world, people. We stayed at an apartment north of central Paris so that we could cook some of our meals. The lady we rented from did not speak English (the owner of the apartment did, but the woman who met us at the apartment did not). I speak some French, but having just been on the longest flight ever, I was not able to communicate in French. I understood what she was saying, but my brain could barely come up with words in English, let alone French. I was very good at listening in French the whole trip, but speaking was harder. By the end it was easier to speak in French, but I was grateful that so many people spoke English. The one place where I had no problems was the boulangerie. I speak the language of croissants.

Jardin des Tuileries


We got in in the afternoon, so we did nothing that first day. The second day, we walked to the Musee d'Orsay. We walked so much the entire trip. I did not lose any weight because ice cream, but I'm pretty sure my butt has changed shape.


Musee d'Orsay

The Musee d'Orsay is huge. They don't allow much photography, so you'll have to check out the site for art pics. It was pretty amazing to see so many famous pieces in person. Honestly, I don't know how to describe it but "wow." There is too much art to list. We spent the entire day at the museum. The special exhibit was Degas and the Nude. It included studies of his work as well as the final pieces. It was fascinating to see the studies of forms and then see the same forms in multiple pieces. The museum has one of the busts of Victor Hugo sculpted by Rodin. It looks like my grandfather--exactly like him. I wanted a postcard to send to Pappaw, but they did not have one. Of course this meant a postcard mission.

No comments: