Sunday, April 29, 2012

This post brought to you by a break from grading.

Do you think it's possible to die from grading? Drowning in or suffocating under a pile of papers seems unlikely. As is being crushed to death from a toppling pile of papers. Bored to death is probably just metaphoric. But a heart attack from the stress or rise in blood pressure from how horrible the papers are seems plausible. Can tension cause a stroke? Bleeding to death from a bunch a paper cuts also seems unlikely. I can see someone giving up after grading a bunch of horrible papers, but quitting academia seems more likely than suicide. Perhaps if a student poisoned the paper the essay is printed on.

I've been behind in my grading since Spring Break and the pressure is on to finish NOW, which is already too late. I can see a difference in the work from other semesters though. Reading these essays, I can tell that I have pulled back from teaching in order to finish the diss.

1 comment:

CK said...

I swear I commented on this already BUT anyway: yes. And I hope that you are safe at this point!