I have students do informal presentations in class all of the time. My standard response to students not doing the reading a few days in a row is, "okay, so today you're teaching the material" and divide them into groups with directions. So last week, one group ended their presentation on a revision strategy by saying "boom." It was awesome, and I heard another student say "I'm going to end all of presentations like that from now on."
My majors have to teach a critical essay this week because they didn't read the critical essay last week. They did, however, read the difficult (because of all the metafiction) book. The discussions about the book are going really well, but they need the critical readings, in part because they will help them write the big papers due in two weeks. But also because they are still clinging to their narrow definition of fantasy that they started the class with and I've been prying them away from all semester.
I say "have to teach" like it's a punishment, but it's not. We all tend tend to understand things better when we have to figure it out ourselves instead of having it explained to us. It's also a really great way to get the students comfortable with each other before introducing writing workshops.
I have a pinched nerve in my neck. It happened last Thursday. Husband says I imploded after sending in my dissertation. Today I saw a doctor because the muscle strain was getting better but the radiating sharp pain was not. I now have codeine and muscle relaxants.
Watch this. It's funnier every time I watch it.
from Jezebel. The kitten. Oh my god, the kitten. I didn't catch the drink recipe until the third or fourth time I saw it. Too much laughing.
1 comment:
Kitty beret!!!
Hope your neck feels better soon.
Post a Comment