Friday, August 26, 2011

Syllabus Quandary

I was reading Undine's post about uncoverage and decided to check out the ProfHacker post about it, but I got totally distracted by this post about making interesting syllabi. It's a collection of creative syllabi geared toward getting students to actually read the syllabus. And so now I'm trying to figure out why I don't have something more interesting. I mean, if I don't like reading the monster document (6 pages with all of the university-required material), what hope do my students have? As a student, I always preferred short syllabi with simple policies and a clear schedule. I liked the ones where I could look at the document and immediately find the section I wanted.

I've stopped handing out paper copies, so I can use pretty colors and graphics without blowing the department copy budget. But of course I don't want to overdo it because busy is just as damaging as boring in terms of getting people to read. I still need it to be a single document that I can upload to the university database though, as we are required to do this. Do any of you create non-traditional syllabi? How do you do it?

Husband suggested having tl;dr statements for each section or long policy. I already make my calendar look like an actual calendar because I remember the organization better when it's not presented as a list. Any ideas? (This would be the point where my graphic-designer mother should chime in.)

Oh, and I have a week, so this will be a pilot project, not an awesome undertaking.

Diss update: Meeting with chair went well. Feel better about not making deadline. Wrote something coherent and good before the meeting today.

2 comments:

undine said...

Thanks for the link, Tree! I went back and posted a link to the one at Profhacker.

caroline said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I am completely overwhelmed by these examples, and I can't think of anything to add to my syllabus in the next week. LOL. Sorry that I have no ideas. They look interesting, but they are out of my means for now. In college, I had one prof give extra credit for those who still had their copy of the syllabus on the last day of class. But this was before syllabi were posted online, easily reproducable, etc.