I had a good burst of productivity this afternoon and figured some stuff out for my conference presentation. It's giving me trouble because (1) I have an hour and fifteen minutes to myself, (2) I have to talk it--no reading papers at this conference allowed, and (3) the audience is not academic, but still literary minded, so I can't use academic jargon.
Number three is no big deal; I teach without theory jargon, so problem. Two is also okay because of the teaching; I'm just going to teach. One is insane! I'm planning on a half hour+ for me, a half hour- for discussion, and leave the last fifteen minutes for conference business. But still. Insane!
So, since I'm not actually writing a paper for this, I'm prepping like I prep my classes: one page of notes to speak from. Tomorrow I will practice it a few times (fewer um's and so's if I've given the lecture before--more jokes too) and copy a handout (I don't want one, but was told "this audience likes handouts" because it's an hour with one person! and handouts help keep focus).
After my burst of productivity, my brain fizted and fizzled so I went to read. Outside was bright and hot, so I went and laid down on the bed and read. And fell asleep. That bed is booby-trapped. Booby-trapped, I tell you!
No comments:
Post a Comment