It's that time of year again when I beg you to tell me what to read. I will be working on my diss. over the summer, but I still plan to read. A lot. So what good books have you read lately?
I have my summer reading lists in the sidebar over there <-----, but I also did a fair amount of reading after I passed my prospectus in Feb. I only keep lists in the summer though. So stuff like The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors by Michele Young-Stone and The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne aren't on the lists. I did a review for The Handbook already.
The Red House was also very good. But it's also oddly charming because the narrator is very much like Pooh's narrator--intrusive and observant--so there were some odd Pooh flashback moments. I loved those. And the intro, where Milne explains what a good mystery should be, is very good. If you like mysteries, you should read it. It's in the cozy vein.
5 comments:
I recently read The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen. I love her work, even though I don't really know how to classify it. It's contempary Southern lit with lots of magic, but not typical fantasy sort of magic.
The Stearkarm Handshake by Susan Price. It's supposed to be YA, but wow.
Also I'm liking Hilary Mantel these days, but she's a bit of a dense read. You have to be in the mood for that. Kind of like George Eliot. Price, OTOH, goes like a rocket.
Oh, and I don't know if I've recommended yet Kate Atkinson? Start with Case Histories. I'm totally in love with her male protagonist, Jackson. I'd leave Herr Dr. Delagar for him if he were real. Don't tell.
Have you read The Girl Who Could Fly? Loved it. Also, the Percy Jackson series- so fun. The new Evanovich comes out towards the end of June. Right now I'm finishing up the series because I'm just a little crazy like that. A friend recommended Pillars of the Earth, World Without End and Napoleon's Hemorrhoids.
Also, I've probably had a bit too much to drink so please excuse me if I've rambled a bit.
There's a Star Trek book called World Without End, so I got all excited--I read as a teen, could reread it--then got all bummed when I realized you meant the Ken Follet one. Sad.
I've added all the suggestions to by list. Keep 'em coming.
Post a Comment