Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Professional Advice

When you're grading an essay assignment that the students have been working on for 4-5 weeks, which means you last went over the assignment requirements 3-4 weeks ago, you should really have a copy of the assignment with you and read it before you begin grading.

Updated to add: So I've finished reading the essays, and they are basically all good--all As and Bs in terms of content. But I just can't bring myself to put grades on them. Does this ever happen to you? I'm sure I'll ultimately go with the grades I penciled in (that's what usually happens), but I feel like I need to read through them once more to figure out the A-/B+ line for this assignment. Most of the essays are on that line (which is surprising, actually. hmmm). Luckily, there are only 7 essays (a few more are MIA, but it's a small class). (I would usually go back to my comments, but I made very few on this batch of papers. No major problems, and no major insights. Very little to discuss.)

No comments: