Tuesday, December 08, 2009

What's Been Happening

Right now, I am forcing myself to sit with my feet on the ground. Usually I sit cross-legged, but my lower back/ass hurts, so I'm trying to have good desk posture hoping it will go away. I was also doing above the waist kicks for fun this morning and possibly pulled a muscle. Nothing hurt then, but its the only unusual thing about today.

Right now, I am also avoiding my prospectus (Hi there, prospectus! I'm going to throw this ball, and you're going to go catch it. Ready? Ready, girl? Go, girl, go. Go get it.)

Earlier, I was trying to figure out if the phrase "Would ye be wantin' some bread, now?" is Irish or pirate. Or Irish Pirate? (OMG, next year, a Mexican Irish pub is opening up near by. It's not Mexican-Irish fusion, as that would be gross. They're selling Mexican food and drink and Irish food and drink. In the same restaurant! I am so happy. I hope it doesn't suck.)

Today, I went to the mall and got my free monthly Godiva chocolate. We also bought Husband an organizer and picked up a couple of missing pieces to the best stocking stuffer ever. Only I can't tell you what it is because it's for my family who reads this blog. I will post pictures after Xmas. (I totally just accidentally typed something in French. As in, the typo I made made a French phrase.)

Yesterday, students that I have told are failing kept coming to class. They talked to me as if they're passing. As if they can somehow pull it all together this week. It happened so often I actually started second guessing if I had told these students they were failing. I have. I warned them. I really hate when students fail. I feel guilty for failing them, even though it is so not my fault, and I warn them before they cross the do-not-pass-go line.

Sunday, my diss chair emailed me and asked if my lack of progress over the weekend was because she gave me lots of ideas to work with when we met last week. She said she got excited, that I have a good foundation, and I should just go with what I was doing. Except she used a cooking metaphor. She can cook. That was a reassuring email because I was/am feeling overwhelmed.

Edited to add: Just now (@ 9:41 p.m.), I had a prospectus breakthrough! I figured out how to organize my lit review section, which also means that I now know which theorists are missing, where they go, and what I need to say about them. I just figured out how to finish this thing. And it's totally doable! I mean, I won't get it done tonight, but by my next prospectus meeting? Very likely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the prospectus joy! (I so loved your personification of it at the top of the post, btw.)

Woot!