So I'll be starting my qualifying exams (or whatever they call them at your uni) soon. And I feel ready for two of the three areas. The third, well, I'm going to work my ass of this week. We'll see how I feel then.
In other news, my conference paper isn't ready. I'm revising a seminar paper I wrote, so it won't be too hard, especially since the prof and I decided that my seminar paper should be my conference paper, so it's really just a matter of judicious cutting--the tone and audience is already right. And she advised me on the abstract and the paper, so I have a good place to start. It's a really good paper--I'm proud of it. I'm nervous though because I make a point of disagreeing with the biggest name in my field's most recent book--and he'll be at the conference. And I'm assuming that he'll come to my panel because my adviser (his friend and a big name herself) will make him. She's done that before. She's a very, very good adviser. He's a nice guy; he won't be hard on me or anything, and I'm not disagreeing about a really MAJOR thing or anything. It's just a big step. I feel like a real scholar and not just a grad student by doing this--like my opinion is just as valid as his. 'Cause it is, I just haven't really felt confident about that before. Oh, and my adviser hasn't read the paper yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment