I appear to have started writing a weekly blog, but that's okay as things have gotten very busy very fast. I'm not quite sure how to get everything done. But I will, somehow.
I miss video games. Husband and I tried playing Myst IV last night. We've played a couple of times before. It's one of the computer games we kept because we enjoyed it. We both like. We both like puzzle games, so we've kept a few of them. And adventure games. Any Zork game is a favorite, but we've played those so much we have them memorized. Anyway, it crashed our computer. I went to bed after that, so I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm guessing it has something to do with how much our computer surpasses the recommended system requirements. But it could have just been a hiccup. Or a gremlin.*
We played World of Warcraft for a while, but it got very boring. The quests aren't puzzles, and all you're doing is killing stuff. I don't like people enough for the whole online community thing to be a draw. Playing with others can be fun, if the other players are your friends. If not, and you don't come up with a basic strategy before attacking something, it's just chaos. And there's all of the name-calling and harassment. Yeah, I don't like people enough to pay for WoW anymore. And there is no variety in the game. It's the same stupid quest with different items or different characters every time.
Now we're playing Guild Wars, which is basically like WoW, only free. And by free, I mean there are no fees once you buy the game. So, it's gotten boring too, as you're just doing the same thing over-and-over again, but at least you're not paying someone to do the same thing over-and-over again.
I need a new game. Hopefully, one that Husband and I can play together. It doesn't have to be a two-player game, just one where the point isn't to create your own character and kill, kill, kill. Any suggestions for adventure, puzzle, and/or logic games?
*Speaking of gremlins, [spoiler for Iron Kissed coming up] I am so mad at Patricia Briggs right now for using that tired fantasy cliche--rape makes the heroine stronger/able to love--in her latest book, Iron Kissed, part of a series that I love. One day, I will be writing an article about this trope as I hate it, and find it in every other fantasy novel I read.
2 comments:
I love Briggs and Mercy, but I had a problem with that book as well. The whole thing just wasn't as well done as the other two books in the series. Disappointing.
Carrie--agreed. It seemed like Briggs had several things she wanted to do with that book, and never found a way to make them gel. But, the first book in the Alpha & Omega series coming out this summer--it takes place in the Mercy universe.
Post a Comment