Monday, August 25, 2014

Georgette Heyer!

Thank you, nicoleandmaggie, for the Regency Romance suggestions. I have been enjoying Heyer's books as evidenced by my sidebar. They are correct that the books named after women are the best--Frederica and The Grand Sophy. My favorite bits are when the characters gossip about writers from the period--Byron and Caroline Lamb. I am not a Romanticist, but I seriously considered it for years. I love many of the Romantics. I also like the pushy women who scoff at what is proper and do what they think is right and aren't trying to win any man.

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Reluctant Widow. The premise is ridiculous--through a case of mistaken identity and one-sided bullying, the protagonist marries a drunken ass on his deathbed; and there are spy papers hidden in the house! I didn't like the relationship between the couple at all; the bullying was annoying and sad. About half way through I realized why I was enjoying it so much despite disliking the romance. It felt like a classic Nancy Drew and/or Hardy Boys mystery, complete with overzealous sidekicks (I'm looking at you, Chet).

However I found Beauvallet to be unreadable because of the wanting to be dominated and the swashbuckling ego. I stopped a few chapters in. I do like swashbuckling in general though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powder and Patch, although infinitely more readable than Beauvallet (which I haven't finished either), also has that "wanting to be dominated" thing and a ridiculous lecture about how no doesn't mean no. Which is awful. The Black Sheep is also promising but ends with a "just dominate her" thing. The nice thing is that her later work takes characters like those in Powder and Patch and makes fun of them-- they become the MacGuffins for the real (infinitely more mature) hero and heroine.

The older we get, the more and more we appreciate Venetia. (Frederica is still our favorite, though with Grand Sophy a second!)

Do One Thing said...

Light your home with Diyas for Puja from Apna Showroom, featuring brass diyas for puja perfect for sacred Ganpati diyas puja. Add divine charm with gangajal lota container and brass kalash Haridwar for holy water storage. Pair with Rudraksha mala panchmukhi for meditationAPNA SHOWROOM White Marble Shiva Lingam/Shiv Ling - Shankar Bholenath Shivji Mahadev Bhole Bhandari Idol Murti for Worship and Decoration
Apna Showroom Fishnet stocking for Women Sexy Black Net Pattern Medium Mesh Free Size with desent Look
Apna Showroom Women's net Fishnet Lingerie Stockings - Fishnet stockings for women (Black Free Size) Pack of 2
and positivity. Shop fashion essentials like fishnet stockings for women, pantyhose stockings, metal hairband, and tic tac clips, plus personal care tools like lice comb for kids. Apna Showroom ensures devotion and daily lifestyle in one stop.