Saturday, June 04, 2011

Go read a book.

It's amazing how much difference a good book can make. I haven't had any fun books out of the library for a week, and I checked out some today. I read Aunt Dimity's Good Deed this evening, and I feel so much better. A week of migraines and being medicated and not sleeping well and not making diss progress because of the migraines had me in a foul mood, a very defeated mood. Today has been a house cleaning day, but I stopped an hour before the library closed and went and checked out five light books, mostly mysteries, and I thought I deserved a cozy break. Reading for pleasure really is as necessary as sleeping for my sanity. A two/three-hour escape really works wonders.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better! Totes agree on the reading for pleasure as necessary.

caroline said...

Yay for reading! This is what I love best about summer - your summer reading lists always inspire me to read more!

If you have any recommendations, will you let me know? I read Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson based on your review of the book last summer. Thanks!

Tree of Knowledge said...

Caroline, Johnson has a sequel coming out in August called Nocturne.

So far I really like the Kim Harrison series. It's urban fantasy, but not driven by vampire sex as so many are now. (Not that there's anything wrong with vampire sex, I just prefer that not to be the point of the book). One of the writers on the FANSCI blog recommended it.

If you like mysteries and haven't read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, you should really try them. They're hilarious.

And Tonks told me to read Lisa Lutz's Spellman series. It's also really good and about a dysfunctional p.i. family.

I have a long list of recommendations from others, so I'll be sure to mention any that stand out.

caroline said...

Oh, I think you recommended Stephanie Plum last year, too, right? I started the book but I never got through the first one. But thanks for the others on your list - I'll take a look for sure!

Tree of Knowledge said...

The first Plum is the weakest of the series. After the writer decides to go more for humor and less dark crime, it gets better.

Tree of Knowledge said...

Caroline--try the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. It's a mystery series set in post WWI England with a female detective. It's quite good. I read about it at Dooce.com.