Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Migraine Update

So today, after 7 days of migraine,* I was pain-free enough to clear through some the stuff that I have been collecting from students. It's a good thing I've taught these classes for so long I can do it on autopilot because my brain has been in a hazy pain/meds fog. I didn't get to any actual grading of essays, but I have at least sorted and prioritized, and as long as I read 10 essays Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I'll be in good shape for next week when I have 2 more sets of essays to grade.** I'm kind of impressed with how well I coped (you know, teaching and only crying at night), considering how scary it is for me to have a migraine that lasts longer than 3 days. Needless to say, I have done nothing on my diss. Someone tell me that's okay.


*This actually isn't that bad. My record is months long. I missed high school because of a never-ending migraine. I'm serious.

**It's not actually grading, but commenting on drafts for revision--which totally takes longer than grading.

2 comments:

delagar said...

Been there, done that.

It took me years to even *know* I was having migraines. I remember vomiting from head pain as an undergraduate, and just going on to class; I remember flunking a chemistry exam in HS because my head hurt so much I couldn't read the test. I thought they were just headaches.

I didn't even seek medical intervention until my OB, when I was three months pregnant, said, carefully, when I came in with a blazing migraine, "Um, you know, we can...treat...that."

Keep going until you find meds that work. My life is so much better now.

Have you been to the ER for the shot, btw? Does that help at all for you?

(I don't know what "the shot" is. The ER docs all do though. Every ER in the country I have been to, I go in and say, "I have a migraine, my drugs aren't working, I need THE SHOT." They know what I mean and pony up. It knocks me out for about six hours and I wake up migraine free.)

Tree of Knowledge said...

I've never done the shot. But I will keep that in mind. And tell Husband to keep that in mind too. When it's really bad, I have a hard time deciding what to do.

But it does help to know that others go through this--thanks for the horror stories. I will keep trying until I find the right mix.

It's scary for me because I did have severe migraines every day for 3 years as a teen, and it took almost 2 and half of those years and a bunch of doctors to find any medicine that would help at all. I finally had to go to MHNI in Michigan (not my home state in the South) to find anyone who knew what to do. I really don't want to do that again.