I'm supposed to be writing, but I'm not. Shhh, don't tell anyone. So I added a little writing meter over there (the two I've used in the past aren't working; that's a new one). I don't know how long a chapter is supposed to be, but that's about 30 pages. I figure I can change my goal later if it needs to be more realistic. (Help me here if you've written one of these things before.) I'm keeping track of one chapter at a time, and they're drafts, not finals. Once I have solid drafts of each, I'll change the goal somehow (word count will mean less then). I do have articles, conference papers, or seminar papers that I'm using for each chapter, so my starting place is not zero. I think I'm working on chapter 3 of 4. But I don't know; it might be 2 or 4. My committee and I have different ideas about chapter order. But in my mind it's the most important chapter. It's also the one I'm most excited about, which is why I'm starting there.
Goal One: Write for 2 hours a day. Once I figure out a natural page number, I'll change this goal. I know I should start lower, at 30 minutes or something, but since I'm not writing from scratch, some of the "writing" will be looking stuff up and most will be expanding ideas already there, which involves lots of rereading--all writing tasks if not actual typing.
Goal Two: Read one article or book chapter per day. I write more when I read and get inspired by others (often by disagreement).
I've already met goal 2 for the day.
1 comment:
Yay you!
I wrote 4 pages a day. That was my goal when I was writing my dissertation -- I'd already done most of the research. Four pages a day, every day. (If I was hot, sometimes I wrote 5.) Over my desk I wrote in big letters: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE GOOD, IT JUST HAS TO BE FOUR.
Post a Comment