Sunday, March 21, 2010

It's Spring Break!

And that means my birthday is this week! woo-hoo!

Last week, I met with over forty students and read over fifty papers so that I would not have to work this week. I canceled a couple of classes for the mandatory conferences, but I still taught, so it was a busy week.

And I've had a migraine every day since last Friday, expect for Monday and Tuesday. Including today, that's 8 migraine-filled days. I maxed out on my meds and they stopped working. So, yeah, rough week. Today the meds seem to be working, so yay! I have a doctor's appointment this week to discuss the increase in migraines. This past week was unusually bad (stress + hormone mess, I think), but they've been getting worse for about a year now. And the meds have been less effective lately.

Friday, my French teacher and class surprised me with a birthday party. She usually has a card and snacks for people's birthdays, but I got a cake and a present--a novel that takes place in France and has allusions to my area of study. We had a little party, then talked in french instead of doing the regular work. Because my birthday falls during Spring Break and my family lives on the other side of the country, I have a birthday season, instead of just one day, with cards and gifts trickling in for a couple of weeks. It's very cool.

I miss my dad, though.

2 comments:

delagar said...

Migraines! Awful!

I'm on topomax & also Frova as what my doc calls an "aborter." The Topomax is daily, to prevent onset. Then when I get one anyway, which I sometimes do, I take the Frova and 2 Aleve, which aborts the incipient migraine. So far (4 years) it's working pretty well. I used to get 4-5 day migraines 2/month, which put me in bed. Now I only get them maybe once a year.

Tree of Knowledge said...

Yeah, as a teen I had three years of hell--migraines severe enough to keep me out of school and doctors who couldn't figure out what was going on. I've got to dig out my big list of meds I've taken. I haven't been on a preventative for 12-13 years, and I really don't want to go back, but I hate migraines. My problem is that I have always built up resistance to the abortives pretty fast. I think that may be part of what's going on now (taking 2/3 a day as opposed to 2/3 every few months). And then, exam stress last year and prospectus stress this year probably hasn't helped.

But I haven't taken those meds before. I'll ask about them. I'm on Maxalt now. I've had a prescription to Midrin since I was 10 when I was first diagnosed. It helps with the stress-triggered ones b/c it has a muscle relaxant in it and I usually fall asleep on it.