Tuesday, July 15, 2008

That Used Book Smell

is awesome.

Husband and I finally made it to the awesome used book store in Paradise City this past weekend. There is a used bookstore near us that I'm not particularly fond of. I have high hopes going in, but am usually disappointed. It is full of books, but they are arranged haphazardly with piles in the floor, aisles blocked. It's a mess. It's really hard to find anything, and the stuff I want is at the very back of the last aisle. They really need a larger store, or to clean out some of the books. But it was the only used book store in our area. Then, a bookstore that is elsewhere on the island opened up a branch near by. It's driving or busing distance, not walking like the other one. But get this. The books? They are on shelves. Separated by genre. And in alphabetical order. And the aisles? They don't have piles of toppling books in them. It's exciting. The older store isn't really that bad; it's just hard to find anything. This new one? Easy-peasy. So easy in fact I bought $46 in books the first time out (I know that's nothing, but I got 8 new books!). And those are just the ones I didn't put back. I put back a lot. Husband found a bunch of vinyl too. We're happy. It's not as big as the used bookstore back home (that one is in a warehouse/ former used car dealership), but it's close. Several of the books I found are research-related. I have to go back again and buy for pleasure. I try not to buy books for pleasure in the summer and read as much as I can from the library.

No comments: