Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Aaaaagh!

I hate that stage of revision where you stare at your paper immobilized with no idea what to do.

I also hate that part of criticism when you read the comments and can't figure out what they mean--if you follow the marginal comments, then the changes are small because you already do the things the reviewer asks for; if you follow the general comments, then the changes are huge as your entire argument is a wash.

I've been trying to figure out how to address the comments I have on this paper and have decided that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Really. I should just give up and lay tile. I'm sure I'd be much better at that than academic writing. This revision has just about convinced me that I am useless as an academic, know very little, and the few ideas that I do have are rubbish.

I'm sure these feelings would go away if I could just make some progress, but I'm mired! And I've tried the think-on-it/do-something-else approach. I've let this paper simmer for a couple of weeks. But I'm still stuck in the same position.

When I asked for clarification from the commenter, she said a vague "more theory" general comment meant expand this one section. So her clarification falls under the minor category, BUT my argument is apparently not sophisticated enough so it can't be a minor change. And what they suggest for sophistication seems to be to replace a few key terms and add a definition. And that can't be right!

Why can't editors just say what they mean!? I would much rather have my feelings hurt and have specific statements of what the problems are than general comments that leave me staring at the screen, but not in tears.

I think I need to do a major overhaul because the specific comments don't match the general ones, and if I just do the ones that make sense, I'll get this back rejected. It's a revsie and resubmit right now. But I have no idea where to start. None at all.

1 comment:

k8 said...

Commenting well is an art that many haven't acquired. I know exactly what you're going through.

I often think that I am very lucky to be in a field that, in part, studies the teaching of writing because comments from my professors (and others in the field) tend to be useful. When I'm working in my other area of study, I notice a distinct decline in the quality of comments and suggestions. It is very frustrating.

When you resubmit, can you include an introductory letter or memo that highlights specifically the changes you've made and what questions you might still have?