Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Battle Between Writing and Napping

Writing, writing, writing.

This weekend has been a combination of napping and writing, mostly napping. Lest you think I am exaggerating, I took a six-hour nap yesterday. I have written one page, and typed up one page of quotes to use today. Napping has certainly won. There was some computer game playing and Netflix watching as well, but far more napping. I think that means I'm tired.

I think I've figured out why this paper is terrorizing me so--

ONE. emotional response to paper still caught up in emotional response to father's death (cause I was supposed to be writing this when it happened; I cried when trying to find old notes in my email because I saw the date on the email),

TWO. been long enough that I have to reread all of the research (which takes forever! I know the essays, I just can't remember what to quote anymore),

THREE. is a tough topic to articulate, and

FOUR. have put extra pressure on myself because I have "extra time" rather than treating this like the end-of-the-semester seminar paper.

I can't do anything about the first one because it's not a logical connection. The second one, well, I've decided to reread only three essays for quotes, and as for the books...I don't know. I have to use some of them. The third, I actually have my argument written, I just need to support it (hence #2). The fourth one is just stupid, self-sabotaging idiocy, and I need to CUT IT OUT. I'm trying to write it like a seminar paper (you know, finish in a day or two).

No comments: