The banes of my existence: two things I can't live without, but wish I could.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Rejected on the Job Front
Yesterday I received a personalized rejection letter for a job. I wasn't a good fit, which I knew applying, but I was qualified. The letter explained that they wanted someone with more experience in Birthday Party Theory. I have some BPT experience; it's important to my work, but it's not my main thing. So no surprise about the rejection; this job was one of the two that I thought were the biggest stretches. But the letter said my application was impressive and that my writing sample was wonderful. It was super short, but that one personalized sentence means so much to me. Someone actually read my application carefully, and after all the work they are to put together, it's nice to know that. Also, I know, in theory, that I'm an excellent candidate who's a tough fit because my specialty is not a major teaching area, but it's really easy to forget that when doing application after application, some of which are cruel in the amount and type of materials they want (I just finished another one and have 3-4 or more by the end of the week, but that's it provided any new ones haven't been posted). So having someone acknowledge my strengths in a rejection letter makes me feel good, like I'm not totally stupid to be applying to jobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm sorry for the rejection, but it's good to hear that someone read your stuff and recognized that it's really good, even if you weren't the right fit for that search.
Post a Comment