Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Stupid Committees

That committee that I was asked to be on by my dean is going to be meeting at 8:30 am. I am not functional at 8:30. When I changed my teaching schedule so that I wasn't teaching before 10, some of my health problems went away. 8:30 is too early for me. I can be there, but I won't be happy. And I've been asked to be on another committee that is working on a different aspect of the giant project that the first is working on. But this second one is actually in line with my expertise (in discussing the committee with the chair, I have already pointed out problems with the way ze intended to precede and suggested an alternative--to which ze replied, please be on my committee). I've already accepted the first thinking that would be the one thing that I would do for the giant project. It is better for me job-wise because I will working with people outside of my department (so I am recognized, I guess). The new one will be more fun because of people I know being on the committee and, because it's something I already do, easier. I told the chair I would think about it. Ze understands my reservations about accepting, but wants me to bow out of the other committee to be on hirs. I am conflicted. On paper, it's possible to do both and still write (I have a course release for working on a book), but I'm worried that it won't actually work out that way. I don't feel like I can bow out of the first because I already accepted, and I don't want to be the kind of person who commits to something then drops out. I hate those people. But it is still early enough that they can replace me. And I will get sucked into the second committee because I am friends with the chair; being on the committee means I will get credit for the problem-solving and advice-giving that I will undoubtedly do. Husband's advice is to do both but accept that I may be a weak committee member because my writing is my top priority every day and my teaching is second. The committees get what is left over when those two are done. And I also have other service commitments (all are very light commitments, but it is possible that one will involve more than meetings this semester). There is also one committee that will be forming that I wanted to be on (it comes with a stipend), but I can't do that now. The semester hasn't even started and I'm already stressed. I just have to make a decision. I am supposed to be doing more university service now that I have been promoted to Assistant Professor. It would be nice if our handbook actually had guidelines for how much I need to do.

3 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Husband's advice is to do both but accept that I may be a weak committee member because my writing is my top priority every day and my teaching is second.

Be careful --- it's really easy to let the writing priority slide because the teaching and people running committees will be very in your face with their demands for your time commitments.

My vote is for dropping one committee---- you have other service commitments in addition to this.

delagar said...

One committee is sufficient at most universities.

delagar said...

And yes -- the writing comes first, always.

Writing first, teaching second, service last (at least at my uni).