Monday, June 04, 2012

Hello.

So after the semester ended, I got sick. Husband had a respiratory virus, and then I got it. Yuck. I slept a lot. Then there was program assessment stuff that was supposed to be finished before the semester ended, but we're behind, so I went in and did my part.

And now, I'm getting comments back from my committee on my diss (2 more people left to comment). Revisions seem doable (everything makes sense--one person wants me to go more into the historical context in one section, and the other wants a so-what in every paragraph). It's mostly on my last chapter, the weakest one that I have no intention of ever publishing as anything and I want it to go away. I cried after getting comments back. Not because they were harsh--they aren't; totally doable, makes sense--but because I don't want to do anything else to this chapter. I don't care about it at all. The others, I'm happy to revise; I just don't want to spend any more time on this one. I don't hate it; I'm just not at all interested anymore. I will do whatever they tell me to, but I will whine about it first! We also have to push my defense date back again. No one told me that the scheduling would be so difficult.

Did I mention I'm going to France next week? I have a conference in Portugal at the end of June, so Husband decided to come with me, and we're going to spend 9 days in Paris and 7 in Lisbon and have a real vacation! I don't think I'll be finishing revisions before we leave, which is probably a good thing anyway, as I don't expect the get the other sets of comments until I leave.

2 comments:

delagar said...

Your reactions to your dissertation committee's feedback sounds exactly like mine.

Just remember, after you have turned it in and they have signed off on it, no one will ever look at it again. (Except the parts you mine for articles, of course.) So put your head down and plow through, that's my advice.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you will be a perfect fit for France... whine and cheese. Bazinga!
-sis