Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I have returned.

It has taken me almost two days, but I am about caught up on the internet. I went to a conference last week and though I expected to get work done, I did not. I didn't even get online long enough to read blogs or the news.

The conference was so much fun. I have never felt more comfortable, relaxed, geeky, grown-up, and professional all at the same time. At conferences imposter syndrome usually is in effect for me, and I'm too nervous to do the networking thing well. I always make the necessary introductions, but don't think I leave an impression. I'm an introvert and being on and social is very draining. But lots of good conversations were had this time. It helped that many of the people I met in my field were familiar with my name (someone was even excited to meet me!), but the people in related and overlapping fields were also so very cool. I did have moments of "these people are so smart; what am I doing here?" But those moments were only moments because everyone was so nice and it was so awesome. I loved it. And it was stimulating and I made all kinds of useful notes about my research. I will be going back to this conference.

But I am still exhausted and don't want to start revising the chapter that must be revised this week. Oh work, why must you be so hard?

No comments: