Sunday, July 24, 2011

Diss Update

I need to get the sad post off the top. So, how about a diss update? I'm working on what is supposed to be chapter 4, but I'm not sure. I could switch it and ch. 1 (which I just finished). One required the most work and 4 requires the least, so I'm doing them together. Next will be 2, and then 3--my favorite. Writing out of order is not a big deal. After I have complete drafts of each, I'll do the intro, then revise the chapters for the right order and make the necessary connections between all.

I haven't been wanting to work and have been feeling guilty about avoiding the diss, so I gave myself ridiculously easy goals. Yesterday, I reread my article that is the core of ch. 4 and made notes on the main points of my analysis. Today I rewatched one of the films I'm adding to the article. The article is an indepth analysis of one film, and I want to add short analyses of two others to it to show that, hey, this phenomenon is not unique to this one film; it's part of this subgenre. The film I watched today I have written on before. It was one of 4 texts I wrote about for my essay in that book I edited. A lot of what I want to say for this chapter is in that essay. So now I have to decide, do I cannibalize that essay and give a note that says "parts previously published in..." or do I quote myself and elaborate? What do you think?

No comments: